St. Mary Parish School Celebrates 100th Anniversary – Archbishop Listecki, Mass Celebrant
Menomonee Falls, Wis., September 19, 2016 – On Saturday, September 10th, 2016 St. Mary Parish School in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin celebrated its 100th year. Archbishop Jerome Listecki was the principal celebrant and homilist for the 100th Anniversary Mass held at 5 p.m. at St Mary Parish Church, N89 W16297 Cleveland Avenue, Menomonee Falls, Wi 53051. All parish societies were represented at the Mass, including student representatives of the parish school. Immediately following the Mass, a reception was held from 6pm – 9pm in St. Mary Parish School Activity Center. A spaghetti dinner was served to all in attendance. School tours were offered throughout the afternoon till the end of the reception which enabled alumni and others to see the enhancements made to the building but also in-the-classroom successes from St Mary Parish School students who have helped St Mary Parish School earn many accolades as an exemplary school.
St. Mary Parish School opened its doors in September 1916, since then over 30,000 students have graduated from the school and it is renowned for the quality education it provides to students from three-year-old kindergarten through 8th grade who live in Menomonee Falls, Sussex, Germantown, Richfield, Milwaukee and other surrounding communities.
St Mary Parish School has always had a special place in the heart of the community. Besides being a source for an excellent education, the school is renowned for its generous humanitarian projects, such as support for the local food pantries, collecting school supplies for needy children, and its annual $50
Challenge that encourages each grade to increase the $50 donated by the parish to raise funds for a charity of their choosing. In the last few years totals for charities have reached more than $5,000.
“So many of our alumni at St. Mary Parish School have been a significant part of the fabric that is our community, said Linda Joyner, St Mary Parish School Principal. “Celebrating our centennial anniversary is a great way to recognize and celebrate their contributions.”
St. Mary Parish School began as a two classroom school led by two School Sisters of St. Francis from St. Joseph Convent in Milwaukee. The doors opened in September, 1916 and the first class of two students graduated in 1919. Enrollment has grown steadily over the years and additional classrooms and new space has been constructed, but the spirit and mission of the school has not changed. 100 years later St. Mary Parish School continues to provide an outstanding education that nurtures each students’ mind, body and spirit and prepare them to meet the challenges of an ever-changing world. Because of the continued commitment from St. Mary parishioners, faculty, staff and the community, thousands of children have been provided a quality Catholic education over the last 100 years and will continue its mission for the next generation of students.